Wednesday, March 25, 2009

More Scripture memorization

Well, I'm still doing really well with memorizing scripture this year. I now have 2 individual verses (well, one of them really contains 2 verses) memorized, plus an 8 verse chapter memorized so far this year. I'm doing it through the LPM blog. It's been great. I've never had non-judgmental, no undue stress avenue of having enough accountability to be able to memorize scripture before. I've known for a few years while I've been in recovery that if I could commit some scripture to memory it would probably help me a lot. But I've always struggle with any kind of memorization. I never learned my multiplication tables, any of the political speeches we were supposed to memorize in school or anything. Not just scripture. I can't even memorize most songs, which is why, even though people tell me I have a beautiful voice, I haven't done much in the way of music. Singers are pretty much expected to memorize the words and music. You don't exactly see people on stage with music stands except at church or in a symphony. Not exactly the kind of music I'd like to do. I'm a rock and roll girl! Anyway, this time I asked God to help me to be able to memorize and I've been pretty successful so far. I don't know how well I'd do if you completely took my notecards away from me and I had to say them. Not that I look at the notecards while I'm saying them, but I definitely seem to remember them better when I'm holding them in my hand. So maybe I'm not doing as well as I think I am, but I'm trying and God's giving me some success. Sometimes I get the chapter I memorized a little mixed up. I've asked God to help me memorize before and still haven't been able to. When I was seeing a counselor a couple of years back she suggested that maybe my mind was so filled with so much negative stuff that there wasn't any room for me to learn anything. So I'm thinking maybe now after a year of counseling and 3 years of recovery programs that I've gotten rid of enough of the negative stuff in my head that now I can actually learn some good stuff, like God's Word! Wouldn't that be nice for a change!

No comments:

Post a Comment