Monday, April 5, 2010

Genesis 2:15-17

Genesis 2:15-17



The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil for when you eat of it you will surely die."

Since we know the rest of the story (which we will go over at a later date), I think we should focus on this and realize when God denies us something He is only trying to protect us. And see how very many other better things He has given us. One thing that our culture sees as a denial is (at this point I should warn you not to let your children read this) is sex with anyone we want, at any time we want. I have recently had to face this challenge of teaching this to my children from a biblical perspective. And them facing the possibility of being teased and us, as parents, being criticized, for choosing not to let my children participate in the secular sex ed classes at their public charter school. Even other Christians might criticize me for this, which amazes me. They say I cannot count on my children making the best choice, so I must teach them other options. I disagree with this. Do I worry that my son (the one who's class is doing this) or my daughters, when their time comes, will make the wrong decision? Of course, I do, but my faith is #1 and I have faith that they will make the right choices and the responsibility to teach them in a way that is biblical. If I do my job wrong, then both of us will be in the wrong if they make the wrong choice. If I teach them right and they make the wrong choice, then they will suffer the consequences. They will suffer the consequences either way, but if I teach them right at least I know I did what was best for my children. I am not opposed to sex ed, just the way that it is taught in the public schools. The things that are acceptable to them, that are not acceptable to our God. Also, if they make the wrong choices in this area, I know for a fact there is forgiveness. I myself have received this forgiveness, and God has changed me. I still suffer many (mostly emontional) consequences of my behavior though. That is what I am doing my best to help my children to avoid. I believe that my children will make the right choice. My older two have already begun making some decisions in this area. It's important to teach them about these things before the hormones start raging! Mine raged early, before most people begin talking about these things, so I chose to teach my children sooner, rather than later, although Angela's education is limited. Jeremiah knows everything that he will need to know to get through his teenage years when he is expected to remain celebate. Angela knows just enough that she won't freak out like I did when her body starts doing "strange" things. Wow! That was loaded! Especially since I got into a subject that was not even mentioned specifically in this passage. It was just on my heart, because I just had to write a note telling Jeremiah's teacher that we do not want him to participate in these classes.

Another thing I notice in this passage that I would like to point out is that this is before the fall, and notice that He ordained work. Work is not a curse. The "weeds" of work are what is part of the curse! The struggles between people and I'm sure you all could name a few other "weeds" involved in your work that are probably a result of the curse. Of course, gardeners and farmers deal with literal weeds. I choose not to garden or farm, so the only thing from gardens and farms I suffer from is pollen! Oh, and dust, and smoke when they burn their fields! I'd like to know a few curses you have experienced at work? Hint: They're usually a result of sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment