Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Short And Sweet Segment From My Book

1 Corinthians 16:1-4
Now about the collection for God's people: Do what I told the Galation churches to do. On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made. Then, when I arrive, I will give letters of introduction to the men you approve and send them with your gift to Jerusalem. If it seems advisable for me to go also, they will accompany me.
I'm thinking there were quite a few needy people in Jerusalem at this time. It is important to help those who have less than we do. We, as Christians and in showing God's love and having God's love in our hearts ought to do what we can to help out those who have less. Without putting ourselves in poverty as well, of course, which is why Paul says, “in keeping with his income.” That's important. We don't want to put ourselves in a position because of our giving to where others have to take care of us. There are many ways you can do this. You can give directly to your church, or there are many different Christian ministries that help people around the world. Some of your churches probably give to some of those ministries, so in giving to the church you are often giving to those ministries anyway. You should check with your church if you desire to give to a specific ministry. One ministry that I recommend is Compassion International. This is a great ministry where you can actually adopt a child from another country. They usually give you a choice about what child you would like to adopt. And you send a certain amount every month to provide for this child's basic needs and education. They also will be taught about Jesus and given an opportunity to receive Christ. Many opportunities, actually. You receive regular updates on your child or children, if you adopt more than one. You can even write to them and send special gifts if you like. I'm hoping to adopt a child soon. There are many other trustworthy ministries out there to give to.
Prayer:
“Dear Lord, thank You that You have provided abundantly for many of us, so that we can give to others. Lord, I do pray that You provide abundantly for my family, so we can give as well. In Jesus' Name. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment