Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Fear

Fear is something that I have noticed that a lot of Christians struggle with. I have struggled with it all of my life. I know that it is something that God does not want us to have. Fear is really just a lack of trust. So, when we are afraid we are really telling God that we don't trust Him to take care of us in whatever it is that we are afraid of. Have you ever noticed how many times God tells people in His Word not to be afraid? I've never actually counted them, but as I read my bible I notice it pops up a lot. He is always telling people not to be afraid.

I have a lot of fears. I fear failure. Fear that if I get a job I will not do well and get fired. Fear that somehow I will spend my money in a way that is not right and will not have the things I need. I even have some hoarding tendencies as a result of fear. I'm afraid that if I get rid of something that is worn out that I won't be able to replace it. That's really why I'm afraid to get rid of it.

Like I said, the bible has a lot to say about this, but this is one of my favorites, that really speaks to me:

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."

1 John 4:18

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, there are a lot of things that I'm afraid of. It's always a good reminder what God has to say about fear. I wish it were as easy as reading His Word to make the fears go away, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to repeat those truths over and over and over until it sinks in. Put it on notecards and carry it with you. Whenever those fears come up, get out the notecards and read them, out loud when possible, until you get through whatever the situation is and then do it again when the next thing comes up. I'm convinced I'm going to have notecards full of verses for all of the rest of my life until I go home and have it all together once and for all.

    ReplyDelete